posted by vinyl frog on October 19, 2022
Clear Wraps For Cars
If you want ultimate protection for your car’s exterior, clear wraps are the best option. Vinyl Frog brings to you all you need to know about them.
Clear wrap, which is also commonly known as a Paint Protection Film, is a transparent sheet to protect your car’s paint from the harsh environment around. It saves your vehicle from harsh UV light, oil or water spills, bird droppings and other contamination. It also guards paint against minor wear and tear, scuffs, scratches, and so on.
The film, being transparent, only serves the purpose of protecting the exterior.
It does not conceal the original look of the vehicle but gives it a touch of slight sheen. One should really consider getting a clear wrap installed to keep the car safe from detrimental elements around and sustain its value. A clear wrap is easy to install as it is flexible and stretchable, and easily conforms to any curve or contour.
It is made up of self-healable ultra-thin polyurethane with a heat-activated top coat and an acrylic adhesive. A good quality clear wrap will have an Ultimate Tensile Strength (UTS) of at least 10MPa the higher the UTS, the stronger the clear wrap.
Advantages Of A Clear Wrap
If you have purchased that brand new vehicle, you will surely be apprehensive about keeping its exterior spotless for as long as you can. Clear wrap is the solution to all your problems in this regard. Install it and be fret free.
Your brand new car’s paint will keep on shimmering gloriously under the protection of a clear wrap. Once you have installed it you do not have to worry about scratches, sun damage, hard water deposits, debris, tree sap, bird droppings, stone chips, and other harmful elements.
Long Lasting Performance
Clear wrap is durable and can easily last up to five years. All you have to do is care for it and it will give excellent performance. Once it has completed its lifetime, it can be easily removed without leaving any residue behind.
Safety From The Sun
UV rays are highly detrimental for any surface. They can make a vinyl sun baked or give a yellow tinge to your vehicle’s paint leading it to fade. A clear wrap protects the paint underneath from the harmful UV rays so it can remain bright and brilliant for a long time.
Clear wrap comes with a self-healing top-coat. This is one of the most amazing qualities of this film. Hence if it gets minor scratches, it heals over time. If you feel like it needs some help, heat can be applied to it which can revert the film to its original perfect state. Clear wraps are also waterproof. Water and wet mud will not stay on it hence it does not get water marks or looks dirty.
With so many benefits, clear film installation does not burn a hole in your pocket. If your vehicle’s resale value is intact and its paint looks perfect, clear film is the best choice you have made.
Difference Between Paint Protection Film And Vinyl
Vinyl is a colored or textured sheet that gives a whole new look to your vehicle, it transforms the car into a whole new version of its own. Clear wrap is only for protection. Since it is transparent, it only adds shine to the body of the car. Following are some other differences:
- There is a difference in the thickness of both materials. Since the purpose of the clear wrap is to shield the car, it is thicker than the vinyl wrap whose purpose is to customize the vehicle.
- The installation process between both the sheets is different too. While the clear wrap needs to be wet for active adhesion, vinyl needs an absolutely dry surface, even a little moisture can weaken its adhesive. The more efficiently these materials are installed, the longer they will last.
- Due to the more complicated process the installation charges for the clear wrap are higher than the vinyl wrap.
The Downside Of Clear Wraps
Now, what little information has been discussed about the clear wrap one may still wonder about the pros and cons of it. It cannot be all rainbows, there has to be some downside to it too. Hence some of the disadvantages mentioned will help you form a better view.
- Affordability: Clear wraps are a little expensive. Not everyone can afford their installation. You might get cheaper options but they will not last long. Also, for the installation of the wrap, you need professional help which is costly since the application is a little tricky. It is better to get it done by experts since poor workmanship leaves stains and marks on the surface.
- Reaction To The Paint: Maintenance of the clear wrap is important. You must also keep a check on how long it has been since it was installed. An old clear wrap which has not been maintained can cause damage to the vehicle’s original paint. If the film has been on the car for over 5 years, its removal will cause a little problem consequently chipping the paint
- Damages Due To Environment: C;ear wraps are also affected by the environment. It does have resistant properties but it gets affected by rain, sun, dirt, and so on. Therefore, it is crucial to opt for the best quality clear wrap so it may last longer and fight against environmental pollution.
Maintenance Of Clear Wraps
Everything requires maintenance to perform well. Clear wraps are no exception. In order to ensure longevity, it is imperative to take care of the clear wrap installed on your vehicle.
- Give It Time To Heal: After the installation of the clear wrap, it needs time to heal and adjust. Give it at least 48 hours or more. If you live in a cold region, or an area with high humidity, healing may take more time. Do not use the vehicle while the wrap is curing. Do not even touch it. Protect it from water as well.
- Wash It With The Hand: Gently wash your clear wrap with your hands using a microfiber mitt. Before starting to wash, make sure your vehicle is clean and does not have any dust settled on it. Shampoos with lubrication added can be used. Once you have washed your vehicle, use a microfiber towel to dry your vehicle.
- Cleaning On The Spot: Keep your clear wrap dust free. Use a soft microfiber cloth for this purpose. If you see bird droppings, dead insects and tree sap, spot clean them there and then with isopropyl alcohol. Also avoid fuel spill.
Frequently Asked Questions
The Final Word
To recapitulate, calling clear wrap paint protection film makes complete sense. Since, its whole idea is to protect the paint. Installing a good quality clear wrap will be an intelligent decision, since it prevents the automobile from devaluing by keeping its paint intact. It does not spoil the original look of your car, instead adds more shine to it. So better invest your money into something worthwhile.