Posted By Vinyl Frog On January 18, 2023
How To Wrap Tail Lights?
If you want your vehicle to look sharp and distinctive without going overboard then wrap its tail lights with suitable tints. Tint films for lights come in different levels of shades. You can choose one that complements the overall appearance of your vehicle.
Installing tail light tint is the best approach to secure one of your vehicle's most vulnerable elements. The application process is quick, inexpensive, and effective. Let’s delve deeper into different kinds of tints, their benefits and how they can be applied.
What Is A Tail Light Tint?
Wrapping tail lights with a tint film is a way to detail your vehicle in a manner that represents your personality. It involves adding a clear coating on the surface of the light to give it a protective covering without obstructing light. Though this treatment is primarily for anti-damage reasons, it is used to improve the vehicle's design and the overall outlook as well.
When wrapping your vehicle’s tail lights, it is critical to opt for professional installation to avoid damaging or breaking the polycarbonate glass. One should also use only high quality films that do not compromise the light transmission in any manner. It is also imperative to take care that the light is visible from a reasonable distance. 50% of the brake light must be seen clearly so as to avoid any accidents.
Most people choose to tint their tail lights for aesthetic reasons. There are some variations and shades that are forbidden in different states so consult the law before installing one. Tint application greatly enhances the overall functionality and appearance of the tail light and may truly give your automobile a personalized look.
Advantages Of Tail Light Tint Wrapping
Tail light tinting is not just for enhancing the appearance, it has certain benefits too, such as:
- Applying a tint film protects the tail light from chips, scratches and dents coming from flying debris on the road.
- If you already have scratches on your taillight, they can be covered with a tint to give it a sleek and smooth look.
- Applying a tint proves to be cost-effective as its expense is less than fixing a damaged tail light.
- It lowers the possibility of lights turning yellow, foggy, and toneless due to dirt and UV radiation. A majority of tints are UV and temperature resistant.
- With a tint, you can make your automobile stunning with minimal investment and a quick modification.
- Choose a color, tone, and pattern that complements your style and gives your automobile a snappy and bold appearance.
- In certain circumstances, tinting your tail lights improves visibility for the drivers behind you and reduces the risk of accidents significantly.
The Different Kinds Of Tail Light Tints
There are different kinds of tail light tints available that you can choose from. These are:
- Reflective Tints: These consist of microscopic reflective particles that serve to improve tail light vision in low-light settings.
- Chameleon Tints: These tints change color based on the angle from which they are seen. They may be utilized to give your car a one-of-a-kind, eye-catching appearance.
- Film Tints: These are thin plastic sheets that are put directly on the surface of the taillights. They come in different shades such as light, mid-shade, and dark tints. At Vinyl Frog we have premium quality, durable and long lasting tint films available in light black, transparent, deep black smoke and smoke shades.
- Colored Tints: If you enjoy experimenting with colors, these are a terrific way to be creative without breaking the wallet. Even though they come in a variety of hues, they are illegal in some places. Check local restrictions or consult an expert to determine whether the film is legal in your area or not.
Step-To-Step Guide On How To Wrap Your Tail Light
Step 1: Select Your Tint Wrap
There are several options available in tint films. Depending on the look you want to create, you can select a standard black tint or something a bit more daring such as yellow. Make sure that the film is of premium quality in order to ensure longevity.
Step 2: Clean The Tail Light's Surface
In order to apply the tint film, it is imperative to ensure that the surface of the tail light is extremely clean. To remove any dirt, grease or watermarks, use a window cleaner and a microfiber cloth. This is an important step for the strong adhesion of the tint to the light’s surface, otherwise it will not be long lasting.
Step 3: Cut The Tint Film
Tint films come in rolls. You can also get pre-cut tint films. If you have a roll, cut a section of it and place it on the tail light to gauge the size and shape. Cut the tint film to fit accordingly.
Step 4: Install The Tint
Remove the protective backing from the adhesive side of the film to install it. There are two methods to do so: the dry and the wet. In the former, you just place the film over the light and use a squeegee to remove bubbles and creases. Use a heat gun to make the surface and edges of the tint smooth and activate the adhesive. Stretch the tint around round surfaces while using the heat gun.
In the wet method, you spray the adhesive side of the film with soapy water or with a mixture of 85% water and 15% rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle. This will keep the film from adhering until it is correctly placed on the tail light. Stretch it to suit the curve of the light, which might be problematic if the light is extremely curvy. Smooth out any wrinkles with a squeegee. If you're having trouble, spray some extra solution on the exterior of the film and stretch it out using a hair dryer to make it more pliable.
Important: Do not keep the heat source too near to the film or expose it to heat for too long as this may cause it to weaken or shrivel.
Step 5: Cut the Extra Film
Once you're satisfied with the placement of the film, cut around the tail light with a precision knife, leaving a little excess film near the edges.
Step 6: Tuck The Edges In
The next step is to stretch and tuck the edges of the film over the borders of the taillight, out of sight, with the heat gun and a squeegee. The film will remain in place once it has dried.
Frequently Asked Questions
Ready To Wrap Your Taillights?
Tinted taillights are becoming increasingly popular due to their benefits and beauty. The tint films are available in a range of finishes and shades, including matte, gloss, and clear, so you can choose the perfect fit for your vehicle. Visit the Vinyl Frog website and choose a tint for tail light now!