posted by Vinyl Frog on November 11, 2023
Reflective Car Wrap
A car wrapped in reflective vinyl is a shimmering beauty in broad daylight, as if luminescent, captivating one with its heavenly sight.Reflective car wraps are not only a great way to glamorize your precious set of wheels but they make it much safer in the dark as well.
You'll be more visible to other drivers at night whenever you’ll come in the periphery of their vision. Your ride is transformed into a jewel gleaming radiantly.
Properties Of Reflective Vinyl
The vinyl differs in the fact that it has a metallic, reflecting base.Thus, it works by sending back light back to its source.
If you have decals applied to your car, they will shine in daylight, and at night, when illuminated by headlights or a torch, they will appear to be lit from within! The vinyl also exhibits color shift at times.The iridescent effect is created when the vinyl is viewed from different angles.
Types of Reflective Vinyl
As far as their composition is concerned there are two kinds of reflective vinyl: retro-reflective and prismatic. Below is a brief discussion of each:
Retro Reflective Vinyl
Glass beads are mixed with the color of the facial film to create the retro-reflective film.
When a light source strikes the medium, it reflects directly at the source rather than being dispersed in all directions. Due to the embedded beads, a retro-reflective sheet is much harder to cut than normal vinyl and requires a 60-degree blade.You can cut it with a 45-degree blade and a lot of force, but then that blade would be useless after you're done with it.
Prismatic Reflective Vinyl
The prismatic film, as the name suggests, is layered with microscopic prisms. It divides and reflects the light back from the face film towards the spectator. The benefit of prismatic film is that the cells in it bounce light back across greater angles.
This causes significantly more light to be reflected back towards the source, making it visible from a wider angle of view. This is very beneficial in highway signs.
Tips And Tricks For Handling Reflective Car Wrap
Reflective vinyl is not handled like other films.It gets damaged easily, which is called bruising, but there are ways to handle it. Let us give you a complete lowdown:
Bruising Of Reflective Vinyl
Reflective films are made using more sensitive components.When it is handled incorrectly, it induces bruising. When the regularity of the reflecting components is disrupted, either by dramatically stretching or wrinkling the film, bruising ensues, and it can be extremely difficult to restore the film to its previous form.
Bruising Prevention Tips
- Use caution while wrapping your car with this film and avoid creasing it during the entire trimming and transferring process.
- Plan your wrapping process ahead of time. Anticipating the areas of difficulty in your application will aid in the reduction of errors along the road.
- Use inlays/overlays methods to avoid overstretching reflective material in concentrated locations. This will assist in reducing bruising in places with high curvatures on the vehicle.
- Applying pressure during the process and post-heating it is a fantastic technique but these should not be overdone. Avoid leaning onto your graphic as it applies inadvertent pressure.
- Vinyl may readily attach to itself. If this occurs and you pull away your image, bruising is probable, particularly in regions where more pressure is applied. Use a little heat to assist release of the vinyl.
Pros And Cons Of Opting For Reflective Car Wrap
Every product has its benefits and downsides, reflective car wrap is no different. Let’s see how it works:
- Reflective vinyl has high visibility even at night hence it promises 24-hour advertising impact.
- It helps to make driving safer. A vehicle wrapped in it or with reflective decals is more visible to the drivers and this can avoid accidents.
- It has multiple uses. You can wrap nearly any surface using reflective vinyl.
- The film can easily fulfill the requirements of the user as it is customizable and printable.
- It has durability and reflective quality. The material is long-lasting if properly taken care of.
- Reflective vinyl reflects a percentage of the sun's rays, keeping the car cooler. This is especially useful on hot days since it reduces the need for air conditioning.
- Regular reflective vinyl is significantly more challenging to apply on a car (you cannot use an application fluid while applying the vinyl).
- The price is higher than that of other standard vinyl films.
Use Vehicle Wrap Advertising to Your Benefit
Vibrant graphics on a car draw attention and increase brand recognition. Reflective vinyl, by nature, is highly eye-catching. If you advertise using it, your product or service will reach your intended audience and reflect your company's personality and purpose while parked in strategic areas.
It's a passive style of advertising that many customers love since it provides information about your product without the need for a sales pitch or spending a lot on billboards and electronic ads.
Reflective Car Wrap Application Tips
- The usage of application fluid is the most prevalent mistake while applying reflective vinyl. This is a definite no-no. When applied wet, the adhesive may not hold up properly. Always go for the dry application method for reflective car wrap.
- Traditional films are thinner and less durable than reflective films. Engineer-grade glass bead film may have up to six layers-, whereas ordinary films can only have three. The thick, multi-layer material necessitates additional time and expertise to install. When installing reflective film to your vehicle, always choose a professional installer.
Other Uses of Reflective Vinyl
Reflective vinyl has a myriad of uses especially in the automotive industry such as decals for vehicles, signage, advertisements, and of course as a full or partial car wrap. It is also used for road safety.
You can use it in the following ways:
- In stop, construction, work in progress and other road signs
- In traffic cones and accessories
- Some users apply it to license number plates
- It is used in advertisements on vehicles, trucks and corporate fleet signage.
- It is pasted on helmets for personal safety
Frequently Asked Questions
Are you ready to try reflective car wraps? Convert your car into a dazzling jewel on the road. Let it make its presence felt. You can use the vinyl for advertising purposes or on vehicles that need to be recognized like an ambulance. Whatever the purpose, a reflective car wrap is definitely the way to go!