Posted By Vinyl Frog On September 14, 2022
Helmet Wraps - Make The Edge A Cinch To Ride
The helmet is the most important protective gear, but why wear the same plain, monotone one like everyone else when you can personalize yours and, if you are quirky or artistic, make it an extraordinary piece of workmanship? Wrapping it with the vinyl of your choice is all that is needed.
The most generic form of head protection on the road or in sports is the traditional full-face helmet. These helmets, made up of plastic and composite materials, are essential for preventing brain and head injuries. Whether you’re a sportsman or a motorcyclist, wearing a helmet can significantly reduce impact force on the head and provide protection for the rest of your face as well.
Helmets, however, are progressing towards a commercial and stylistic appeal much like the rest of the world. Brands and people alike are looking to personalize their dull helmets into something more inspirational. That’s where helmet wraps come in!
Benefits Of Wrapping A Helmet
The following are the benefits and uses of a vinyl wrap on helmets:
Helmet Wraps and Decals can withstand impact and are less prone to damage. You can customize your Helmet Wrap with not simply assorted colors but out of the box decals that embody your persona. Flames, emblems, symbols, initials, or anything that resonates with you, given that it fits the helmet space, can be transferred on it. Apart from looking impressive, you can add on decals that are sentimental and can act as good luck charms!
You might be wondering, why vinyl wraps and not traditional paint? Some paints decrease the durability and strength of the helmet and can lead to injury. Spray paints are the most common paints which should not be used on helmets, as they can cause damage to its surface. Any modifications to the original paint or body of the helmet can have dire consequences for the one wearing it.
Therefore, vinyl wraps are a safe option as they will not change the physicality of the helmet and only the aesthetics. The wrap will ensure that the original paint of the helmet is safeguarded and when removed, your helmet looks brand new!
Vinyl wrapping your helmet and sticking on decals also means that they are easier to remove and replace. Painting over original paint on a helmet can lead to your warranty being void and the manufacturers will not be responsible for any liabilities. This problem will not arise with wrap as it will not harm the actual helmet and all modifications can be removed easily.
Variety In Colors And Finishes
Vinyl wrap companies possess an abundance of wraps with different colors, styles, patterns, and finishes. This allows you to personalize your helmet wrap according to your taste. You can opt for chrome, matte, metallic or glossy finish. Chrome, metallic and glossy finishes are more noticeable while the matte finish is subdued. Your decision about the finish depends on if you are trying to attract attention or going for a polished look.
For sportsmen, helmets are both their saviors and also a part of their athletic identity. Hence. it is important that they depict the player correctly as well as the team. Vinyl decals give you the added advantage of showcasing your team mascot, name, or your player number to be easily recognized by the audience as well as other teammates.
Players are even given award decals in football to distinguish them from the rest of their teammates. Vinyl decal is important for both representation of the team and appreciation of the players. These helmets are used in various sports ranging from football, hockey, and lacrosse to cycling.
Branding And Advertising
During televised games, brands may reach out to teams to feature their logos on the athlete’s helmets. These sponsorships make a lot of money for the brands, players, and the team as a whole.
The excessive viewership of sports channels means that this is a golden opportunity for brands to increase their reach. Furthermore, the ease at which vinyl decals can be removed, make it ideal for sponsorships and are the go-to for brand deals.
How To Apply Helmet Wraps?
Now that we have discussed the various advantages and uses of helmet vinyl wraps, let's look at how to apply them. Follow the steps mentioned below:
- The first and the foremost requirement is to take a quality wrap that is durable and long lasting. You can check out wraps available at Vinyl Frog.
- Before you start the application process, make sure that the helmet is clean, dry, and free from any contamination.
- For fully wrapping a helmet with vinyl, start at the top of the helmet and work down the middle.
- Lay down the vinyl on the helmet and smooth it down using your thumbs to remove creases and air bubbles.
- Push it into the crevices and keep moving from left to right.
- If the vinyl bunches up, peel back a little and put it again, smoothing it out.
- Remove hardware or tape it to avoid it ruining the wrapping process.
- Next, cut out your vinyl using an electronic cutter or scissors and align with where you want to put it.
- Remove the paper from the adhesive backing and apply to the helmet directly. If it is a heat activated vinyl, using a heat gun or blow dryer apply heat so vinyl will adhere.
- Lastly, with both vinyl wraps make sure the application is even and smoothed out to avoid tunneling and bubbling which will ruin the look of the helmet. Use a squeegee or your thumbs to do so.
- Trim the edges, reattach the hardware if you have removed any and you have your newly wrapped helmet.
Cost Of A Helmet Wrap
Wrapping the helmet with vinyl is the most cost-effective way of transforming its outlook. The baseline cost is $300 and it can be as expensive as $2000 depending on different factors. The following variables affect the cost of the vinyl:
- The quality of the vinyl used. It is advised to always use high quality vinyl to get the best results.
- The size of the helmet and the complexity of the design. The helmets are of different sizes, shapes and designs, and that decides how much vinyl will be required affecting the overall cost.
- The kind of wrap you are opting for such as full wrap or a partial wrap. If you just want a decal then whether it is simple or detailed also affects the cost.
Frequently Asked Questions
The Final Verdict
Helmet wraps are multi-purpose products with a wide range of benefits. In sports they have become essential and for motorcyclists, they are a way to stand out. These helmet wraps are perfect for any individual who is looking for unique designs and non-permanence. So what are you waiting for? Select the color and finish of you choice and wrap your helmet.