Posted by vinyl frog on December 02, 2022
Motorcycle Tank Wraps
For many people, motorcycles are just a mode of transportation but to some, they represent their whole lifestyle. Riding down the coastline or through lush green mountains, the scenery is always panoramic. The thrill of an open road as well as the smell of freedom in the wind that the die-hard bikers feel is unmatched.
Motorcycles have high utility as they allow you to maneuver through tight spaces around commercial areas and shuttle in and out of traffic a lot more quickly, but every vehicle deteriorates over time. To protect and amplify the sporty look and feel, vinyl wraps offer a customizable alternative to paint and mechanical jobs. They protect the bike from the environment and corrosion, integrating personality and style, whilst also offering an exhilarating experience.
Types Of Motorcycle Tank Wraps
The vast options in vinyl wraps seem limitless and overwhelming when deciding which one will compliment your motorcycle tank the best. Vinyl wraps are available for use in multiple categories, some of which are chrome, glossy, metallic and matte. Another contemporary solution is the carbon fiber vinyl wrap. All these wraps are designed to provide an elegant and classy finish to the look of the motorcycle tank.
1. Glossy Vinyl Wraps
Glossy vinyl wraps are produced with superior polymeric multi-layered, calendared vinyl material with air release channels. They have a smooth texture along with gentle brightness on the surface close to the original paint work. These are the most commonly used vinyl films ideal for wrapping the motorcycle tank. They are not expensive and can be easily maintained.
2. Metallic Vinyl Wraps
Metallic vinyl wraps offer protection and longevity. They have metal flakes that present a visually aesthetic appearance upon interaction with light. Available in an abundance of hues, the metallic vinyl will completely transform your motorcycle tank, giving it a brand new look.
3. Chrome Vinyl Wraps
Chrome wraps are multi-layered films with a shiny mirror finish and reflective properties. Applying them on your motorcycle tank will definitely provide a sleek finish. Chrome wraps are slightly difficult to maintain as they are prone to scratches. Opt for them only if your motorcycle is not frequently used for daily chores.
4. Matte Vinyl Wraps
Matte vinyl wraps have a muted finish. They are light absorbers and provide definition to each curve. They have a very easy going color palette which gives them a grainy feel, accentuating the lines of the motorcycle tank. Matte metallic vinyl wraps are also available for a more bold finish.
5. Carbon Fiber Vinyl Wraps
Carbon fiber vinyl wraps have become the next biggest trend in the market. In weave patterns, the new generation of carbon fiber wrap is closer to the real thing. It adds weight to the structure of the motorcycle tank leaving the body with a toned versatile usability.
Benefits Of Wrapping The Motorcycle Tank
Where benefits are concerned, the first thought that comes to one’s mind is that vinyl wraps protect the paint. True, but there are more reasons as to why it can be important to wrap a motorcycle tank. These are:
- Wrapping acts as a protective barrier from the harsh environment depending on the location. The weather plays an important role when it comes to the wear and tear of a vinyl wrap. If you live closer to the beach, it is imperative to protect parts of your motorcycle that can be affected by rust carried by sea breezes or constant rains. Sunlight can also fade the paint and develop patches on the tank.
- Bird lime, tree sap and other detrimental elements are also kept away with a proper wrap on the motorcycle tank.
- For people that indulge in aesthetics or who want to tell a story, wraps come in handy. Designing has never been easier in the digital age. Customizing and printing favorite emblems or fictional characters on vinyl and applying the wrap on your ride will not only look good but also catch the attention of every passer-by on the street.
- Wrapping is also considered economical in the long run. It is really cost efficient as only a few areas on the body of a motorcycle can be wrapped such as the tank.The cost will not exceed more than $3,000 depending on the vinyl wrap chosen.
- Scratches and dents are part of owning a bike. With time, the health of the body deteriorates and starts affecting the overall performance of the bike. An easy fix for the body would be a wrap instead of respraying or getting a whole new paint job.
- Easily replaceable without a long waiting time, wraps can be peeled off and applied in a matter of hours, leaving no residue on the original paint. They are also easy to wash.
Things To Consider Before Wrapping The Motorcycle Tank
No matter how great the vinyl wraps are, everything isn't perfect. There are a few considerations to keep in mind before applying vinyl on your motorcycle tank.
- To get the best outcome of the wrap, look for any defects in the paint of the motorcycle tank. Instead of hiding defects, the wrap may tear, amplify the peeled off paint even more, and remove it off the body completely when it is taken off.
- Consider your motorcycle tank to be a canvas. Minor scratches pose a very big problem. Dents, rust and chips can cause an issue with the overall feel and look. The vinyl wrap when applied will take the shape of the material and cause inconvenience when trying to reduce bubbles and wrinkles. Make sure the surface of the tank is as smooth as it can get in an environment which is dust free to get a perfect finish.
- Vinyl wraps contain adhesive. Consider wrapping your motorcycle tank when the temperature is normal. This is because on a cold day, the vinyl wrap could become brittle and tear. On a warmer day, the adhesive may activate as it is sensitive to heat. Apply the wrap on the tank in a covered area, preferably a garage where you can control the temperature.
- Material quality is a very important factor when deciding which wrap to apply. To deduct costs and make motorcycle tank wraps more affordable for consumers, sourcing cheaper alternatives has become common among manufacturers. Applying low quality vinyl films will result in bubbles and wrinkles over the applied area making the overall look not so elegant.
- Low quality vinyl wraps also use lower quality adhesive. When pulling off the wrap, there is a high chance that the paint may also peel off with the wrap. Go for the best wrap for your motorcycle tank even if it costs a bit more.
- Knowing the right automotive wrapping experts for the job is also important. Poorly cut-out wraps and untucked corners lift the vinyl, leaving wrinkles all over. There should be seamless installation from one piece to another. This way there will be no gaps showing the original paint of the motorcycle.
- Consider parking your bike indoors when the weather conditions are not suitable.
- Washing it with hands is preferred to ensure the longevity of the vinyl wrap.
Tools Required To Wrap Your Motorcycle Tank
To be better prepared, keep materials, tools and supplies all gathered in one place if you are embarking upon the task yourself. Following tools are required for wrapping a motorcycle tank:
- Grease and wax remover.
- A general cleaner such as 50/50 percent isopropyl alcohol and water mixture.
- Lint-free cloths or towels.
- Utility knife.
- Cutting tape.
- Heat gun.
- Infrared thermometer.
- Cotton gloves.
Wrapping Your Motorcycle Tank
The process of wrapping your motorcycle tank is time consuming, but not as lengthy as it might seem. Follow the steps mentioned below:
- The first requirement is to make sure that your workspace is clean. There should be no debris or dust that can get stuck to the adhesive on the vinyl.
- Secondly, make sure that the motorcycle tank is completely clean. There should be no dust or grease on it. You can use the grease and wax remover and then isopropyl alcohol mixture for this purpose.
- Unscrew all parts of the motorcycle so that there are no tight corners that have to be wrapped.
- Measure the area of the motorcycle tank to be wrapped. Cut the vinyl according to the measurements taken.
- Take off the vinyl backing and apply it diligently. Extend the vinyl wrap over the tank from end to end and slowly, with a heavy press, fix it in place.
- A squeegee can be used to smoothen air bubbles and wrinkles that may have appeared. Use a heat gun to ensure that the vinyl has adhered properly to the motorcycle tank since it helps activate the adhesive.
- Trim the excess vinyl and screw all parts back on once dry. It is better to leave the tank for a day or two for the vinyl to set on it perfectly.
Average Cost of Wrapping Your Motorcycle Tank
Each bike has a unique build. Choppers have been built for longer routes compared to heavy bikes which have been built for racing. Their tanks have different surface areas. A vinyl wrap will be based on the dimensions of the tank that is being wrapped and the size of the motorcycle. This will also determine the cost and each vendor has different rates.
According to the quality of the vinyl and the size of the bike, in this instance, the motorcycle tank will cost you around $1,000-$2,000 including labor. This is just an estimated figure.
Frequently Asked Questions
The Final Word
All motorcycles are unique in their own way. From a distance you will know that a super bike is nearby just by listening to the engine rev. They are fast and stable, perfect for rush hour and long journeys into the wilderness. Bikes are not only feasible but also economical in every aspect.
Applying a vinyl wrap on your motorcycle tank will illuminate the bike more when out on the streets catching the attention of all. There are a variety of vinyl wraps to choose from and we only offer the best there are at Vinyl Frog!