Posted By Vinyl Frog On December 19, 2023
Matte Bike Wrap
For true bikers, a motorcycle represents more than just a mode of transportation—it embodies freedom, adventure, and a deep connection with the open road. Matte bike vinyl wraps infuse a sense of mystery into the ride, providing a unique visual appeal that makes them the most favorite.
In this blog, we will discuss in detail everything you need to know about matte bike wraps, their application and variety, and how to maintain them to enhance their longevity.
What Is A Matte Bike Wrap?
A matte wrap for your motorcycle is a vinyl film that is applied to its different parts such as the fuel tank and fairings, front and rear fenders, side panels, and the rear section, including the tail and seat cowl, and the front and rear mudguards.
A matte wrap has a non-reflective or low-gloss finish that provides a smooth and understated appearance. It has a slightly rough texture that absorbs light giving it the ability to reduce glare and showcase a muted style. The lack of shine gives matte wraps and consequently your bike a unique and modern aesthetic.
Matte vinyl film is non-directional which makes its application easier. The color and tone of the vinyl wrap film remain consistent, regardless of how it is applied to your motorbike. There is a wide variety of colors in these wraps, matte black being the most favorite.
It's important to note that the extent of applying the matte wrap on your bike varies based on personal preference and design choices. Normally, bikers wrap the tanks of their motorcycles. Professional installation is often recommended for a flawless, durable finish.
Different Ways To Wrap The Bike In Matte Vinyl
There are different ways you can wrap your bike in a matte vinyl film. The amount of coverage you want depends on your personal choice and the budget you have for it since matte wraps are generally more expensive than glossy ones.
Full Matte Motorbike Wrap
As the name suggests, this refers to completely covering a motorcycle's exterior surface with a matte vinyl film including the tank, fenders, sides, and other parts. It offers a complete transformation of the look and provides a wide range of design options, allowing motorcycle owners to express their individual styles and preferences.
You can opt for full coverage in a single matte vinyl shade or go for a two-toned, split wrap look. It's important to note that the quality of the installation plays a significant role in the overall outcome, so it's advisable to have the wrap applied by professionals with experience in bike wrapping. This is an expensive option as more matte wrap and labor are required.
Partial Matte Coverage
This involves applying matte vinyl to specific sections or areas of a bike rather than covering the entire surface. This allows for customization while preserving some of the original paint or design. Some riders only go for the fuel tank coverage. This is a popular choice as it is a prominent and visible part of the motorcycle.
Another option is to wrap the front or rear fender in matte vinyl. It is a way to enhance the bike's aesthetics and tie in with the overall design. You can also apply matte wrap to accentuate specific features of the motorcycle, such as the frame, wheels, or other distinctive elements.
Partial wraps allow riders to personalize their bikes, highlight certain design elements, or experiment with different looks without committing to a full overhaul of the motorcycle's exterior. Their installation process is generally quicker and requires less material. They also cost less than a full matte bike wrap.
Cost To Apply A Matte Bike Wrap?
Matte wraps are slightly more expensive than glossy ones due to their special finish. The cost of applying a matte motorbike wrap varies depending on the quality of the vinyl, the type of coverage you are opting for, the model of the bike you have, and whether you are taking the professional or DIY route.
On average, the finest full matte bike wrap will cost $1500 to $3000. Keep this figure in mind if you are taking the help of experts in the automotive vinyl industry. If you can install the wrap yourself and you have the tools, you will only have to spend on buying the matte vinyl. You can get it within $500.
Things To Know Before Applying The Matte Wrap
There are certain facts that you should be aware of before opting for a matte wrap for your motorbike. These are:
- Matte bike wraps have color consistency. They are non-directional which makes them easy to apply.
- This vinyl can be easily scratched. You will have to take care of this during application and use a soft squeegee. The angle should be low with slight pressure.
- Matte motorcycle wraps may readily get finger marks. You will have to resort to spot cleaning to keep them at bay.
- Overstretching of the matte wrap can be dealt with easily. Lift the film and use light heat on it. This triggers the memory effect making the film go back to its original shape and color.
How To Apply Matte Bike Wrap?
The process of applying matte vinyl wrap to your motorcycle is not that difficult. If you have the necessary tools, expertise, and practice, you can easily do so without much hassle.
Tools Needed For Vinyl Installation
If you have decided to embark on a journey to wrap your bike in matte vinyl, you should have the following necessary tools:
- A premium quality matte vinyl wrap in the color of your choice. You can easily get this delivered to your doorstep with a few clicks from VinylFrog.
- Soft squeegee for smoothing out the vinyl and removing air bubbles and creases during the application process.
- A heat gun is required to make the vinyl more pliable so that it easily conforms to the bike's contours and helps with stretching around the edges.
- Precision cutting tools such as a utility knife or X-Acto knife for trimming excess vinyl and making precise cuts.
- Cleaning agents and 50/50 isopropyl alcohol and water solution for removing contaminants and grease if any from the bike’s surface before applying the vinyl.
- Measuring tape or ruler to measure sections of the bike and cut the vinyl accurately.
- Soft microfiber cloths for cleaning and drying the bike surface during the preparation phase.
- Masking tape to secure the vinyl in place temporarily and create clean lines for cutting.
- Gloves to protect your hands during the application process and prevent oils or contaminants from your hands from transferring onto the vinyl.
All these tools are easily available on the VinylFrog website. You can get these delivered to your doorstep.
The Process Of Applying Matte Wrap
- Clean the bike thoroughly to ensure the surface is free from dust, dirt, and grease. Remove any accessories or components that might interfere with the wrapping process.
- Measure the sections of the bike you plan to wrap, allowing for some excess material.
- Cut the vinyl sheets to fit each part, leaving a margin for wrapping around the edges.
- Peel off the backing of the vinyl and carefully apply it to the surface, ensuring it aligns correctly (Begin with a base piece, typically the largest section of the bike).
- Use a squeegee to smooth out the vinyl, removing air bubbles.
- Gradually work your way across the surface, applying heat with a heat gun to make the vinyl more pliable and aiding in conforming to the bike's contours. Carefully stretch and wrap it around, ensuring a snug fit.
- Move on to the next sections of the bike, repeating the process for each part. Pay attention to details like corners, curves, and complex areas, using heat as needed.
- Once the vinyl is applied to all sections, carefully trim excess material using precise cutting tools.
- Finish off by looking for any imperfections, bubbles, or uneven edges. Smooth out any issues and make necessary adjustments. Apply a final round of heat to ensure smooth and robust adhesion.
Matte Bike Vinyl Aftercare
Maintaining the pristine condition of your matte-wrapped bike is crucial, you can do so by following these steps:
- Regularly clean your bike to eliminate dirt, dust, and debris. Do not let these settle on your matte vinyl wrap.
- Use a mild detergent and gentle materials for cleaning, ensuring a thorough rinse to prevent soap residue.
- Avoid harsh chemicals or abrasive cleaners, opting for mild soaps specially formulated for vinyl wraps. Ensure proper drying with a microfiber cloth.
- Steer clear of high-pressure washers to prevent damage to the wrap.
- Opt for secure parking spots and use soft covers to protect your wrap from scratches and potential damage.
- Address minor issues like marks or lifted edges promptly to extend the lifespan of the wrap as wear and tear occur.
- Spot cleaning of a matte bike wrap is very important. If you see any bug splatter, tree sap, or fingerprints on it, clean it there and then with isopropyl alcohol and water solution and a microfiber cloth. Keep these handy.
- If you have wrapped the tank of your bike in matte vinyl, be very careful about fuel spill as it can damage the wrap. If any occurs, clean it there and then with the isopropyl alcohol solution.
- Be careful where you park your bike. It should be away from bushes or sharp objects so that your matte wrap does not get any scratch marks. Also, try to avoid sunlight and harsh UV rays as much as possible.
- Since the vinyl has a matte texture, you cannot use any wax, solvents, or polish on it.
By adhering to these maintenance practices, your matte-wrapped bike will continue to capture attention and stand out on the road for years.
The Benefits Of The Matte Bike Wrap
Though matte bike wrap defies the norm and the conventional practice, it has its advantages such as:
- Aesthetic Customization: Matte wraps come in various colors, allowing bikers to express their unique style and preferences.
- Protective Layer: A vinyl film acts as a protective layer, guarding the bike's original paint from scratches, stone chips, and minor abrasions. Matte wrap also keeps at bay the harsh UV rays of the sun. The supreme matte wraps at VinylFrog often have UV-resistant properties, preventing the original paint from fading due to sun exposure.
- Cost-Effective Option: Wrapping is generally more cost-effective than a custom paint job, making it a budget-friendly option for enhancing a bike's appearance. Though matte wraps are slightly more expensive than other finishes, they still cost less than repainting and their application on your bike is less time-consuming.
- Cleaning Convenience: Vinyl wraps, especially matte finishes, are easy to clean and maintain, requiring less effort than glossy paint to keep them looking sleek.
- Quick Application: Applying a matte bike wrap is generally quicker than repainting, making it a time-efficient option for those who want a fast transformation.
- Increased Resale Value: A matte wrap helps preserve the bike's original paint and metal surfaces from corrosion, potentially maintaining its resale value. The option to revert to the original look can be appealing to buyers.
Opt for Super Glossy Piano Black, Concord Buff, or Reseda Green. You can also select a shade from our High Glossy series like Crystal White, Vintage Racing Green, or Racing Yellow.
Matte Bike Wraps Near Me
You don't have to go around searching for an exquisite selection of matte vinyl wraps. At VinylFrog, we have got you covered. We have the most unique shades in matte vinyl in the finest quality. You can get the following:
Matte Black Vinyl Wrap
Matte black vinyl wraps exude a timeless and sophisticated allure, transforming any bike into an intriguing masterpiece. The non-reflective surface accentuates contours, adding an understated elegance that demands attention.
If you do not want a jet-black look, you can choose from our Matte Black Purple, Black Olive, Gunmetal Gray, and AMG Gray vinyl wrap. These are dark tones in a matte finish that will look graceful on your bike. Your ride will look straight out of a movie in these matte wrap colors.
Matte Russian Violet Vinyl Wrap
This matte wrap offers a captivating fusion of mystery and vibrancy. It is a unique shade that adds an exotic and regal touch, creating a bold statement that commands attention. The profound jewel-toned shade of our Russian Violet unveils hidden layers of color, radiating glamor and prestige with a touch of Eastern European elegance.
Matte green evokes a natural and adventurous aesthetic, reminiscent of lush landscapes and untamed wilderness. At VinylFrog, we have matte Military Green, Hunter Green, and Kaitoke Green. The non-reflective finish gives the color a subdued intensity, creating a harmonious blend of sophistication and rugged charm.
From deep forest hues to military-inspired shades, our matte green wraps bring a refreshing and distinctive flair to any motorbike, embodying a connection to nature with a modern, urban edge.
Matte Silver Tones
Our Matte bike wraps having silver color tones embody a refined and contemporary elegance, offering a sophisticated alternative to traditional glossy finishes. At VInylFrog, we have Matte Silk Gray Blue and Matte Metallic Gray in this color palette.
Its muted luster evokes a sense of modern luxury, allowing the bike’s lines to shine without unnecessary distractions. This subtle sheen will complement the sleek curves of your motorcycle, creating a timeless and understated aesthetic that exudes both confidence and class on the road.
Matte White Chameleon
At VinylFrog, we also have the Matte Chameleon series. These vinyl films are a mesmerizing spectacle, showcasing shifting colors that dance in the light. The matte finish in the white base adds a touch of sophistication to the dynamic color-changing effect, creating an ever-evolving visual delight.
We have Matte White Purple, White Blue, White Red, and White Gold wraps. This unique combination of subtlety and vibrancy captures attention and ensures that every angle reveals a new facet of the bike's personality.
Frequently Asked Questions
Wrapping your bike in matte vinyl is a multifaceted solution that seamlessly blends style, protection, and practicality. This customization method not only offers a diverse palette for personal expression, but also acts as a robust shield, guarding your bike against scratches, UV exposure, and other harsh elements.
Visit VinylFrog today and get an exquisite, supreme-quality matte wrap in your favorite color now to give your bike the makeover it truly deserves!