Posted By Vinyl Frog On July 13, 2023
Boat Window Tint
Welcome to the world of sailing, where every detail counts when preserving the life and value of your beloved vessel. While being out in the sea provides countless hours of fun and tranquility, inadequate maintenance of the boat can quickly turn your investment into a costly affair. That's why we're here to shed light on an often overlooked necessity – the boat window tint film.
Marine window tint plays a crucial role in shielding your boat from the harmful effects of heat and UV radiation. With the advancement in technology, acquisition and installation of the finest window tints has become convenient hence more and more people are opting for it.
Join us as we explore the importance and benefits of boat window tints, revealing how this simple yet essential accessory can make a significant difference in preserving the longevity and beauty of your vessel.
What Is A Boat Window Tint?
Boat window tint, also known as marine tint, is a thin film applied to the windows of a boat or watercraft to reduce the amount of heat, glare, and UV radiation entering the cabin area. You can apply the tint on the inside of the windows, on the outside, or on both the sides, the choice is yours.
Marine tints are typically made of polyester or other similar materials that are treated to have optical and heat-rejecting properties. They are available in various shades and degrees of darkness, allowing boat owners to choose the level of tint that best suits their preferences and needs. This is known as the Visual Light Transmission (VLT) percentage which refers to the amount of light that can pass through the tint. For example, if your boat window tint has 20% VLT, only 20 percent of light can pass through it, hence this tint is quite dark.
The tints keep your vessel safe and in pristine condition for years. They make the interior cooler so that the passengers can feel comfortable and be safe from the harsh environmental factors. A premium quality boat window tint blocks more than 80% of heat gain, hence it is a good investment.
Benefits Of Boat Window Tinting
When you choose the superior durability of tinted windows, you unlock a world of benefits that transform your time on the water into the most pleasurable and safe experience. Here are the plus points of getting boat window tints:
Enjoy the peace of mind that comes with a well-furnished tinted windshield and windows. With a premium boat window tint, you can create a sanctuary of privacy within your vessel. Whether you're relaxing, sleeping, or simply enjoying your time aboard, rest assured that prying eyes are kept at bay both day and night. Even if your boat is docked, no one can see inside keeping it safe.
Unrivaled UV Protection
Shield yourself and your loved ones from the harmful effects of UV rays with the boat window tint film. Sun exposure can lead to serious health concerns, and it can also cause irreparable damage to your boat's accessories and interior. Window tints act as a barrier, significantly reducing the penetration of UV rays, ensuring a safer and more enjoyable boating experience for all.
This is especially helpful for those who live in sunny states. The effect of the sun is increased when you are on the sea. Get a high VLT premium quality tint that blocks 99% of ultraviolet rays for your boat.
Preserve Your Investment
protection. High-quality window tints are specifically designed to safeguard your vessel from the harsh elements, including damaging UV rays, heat, and glare. By minimizing sun-induced wear and tear, you can prolong the lifespan of your boat's interior furnishings and finishes from fading and deteriorating, saving you time and money on repairs and replacements.
Enhance Aesthetic Appeal
Not only do boat window tints offer practical benefits, they also elevate the overall aesthetic appeal of your vessel. With a range of stylish options available, you can choose the tint that perfectly complements your boat's design and enhances its visual appearance. Make a statement on the water with top-of-the-line window tints, exuding both sophistication and functionality.
Protection From Accidental Injuries
Boat window tint can provide some level of protection from accidental injuries by adding an extra layer of strength and safety to the windows. In the event of an impact or collision, the tint film can help hold the glass fragments together, preventing them from shattering into sharp, potentially dangerous shards. The added strength provided by the tint film can help mitigate the severity of damage and reduce the chances of injury offering enhanced safety for both passengers and crew on the boat.
Boat window tint reduces the amount of solar heat that enters the cabin of the boat. The tinted film acts as a barrier, blocking a significant portion of the sun's infrared (IR) radiation, which is responsible for generating heat. Look for tint films that have high IR rejection properties as they can effectively block the sun's heat-generating rays and provide enhanced heat resistance.
The heat resistance of boat window tint is determined by its ability to reflect or absorb solar energy. Tint films with high heat-rejecting properties are designed to reflect a large portion of the sun's energy away from the boat's interior, keeping it cooler and more comfortable. They will assist you in keeping the interior temperature of your boat more than 70% cooler.
Boat window tint can effectively reduce glare, which is a common issue when boating on sunny days. Glare occurs when sunlight reflects off the water's surface and creates a bright, intense light that can impair visibility and cause eye strain.
By applying a tinted film to your boat's windows, you can significantly reduce the amount of glare entering the cabin. The tinted film works by absorbing or reflecting a portion of the incoming light, including the bright reflections from the water. This helps to soften the intensity of the light and minimize the glare.
The level of glare reduction provided by boat window tint will depend on the darkness of the film. Darker tint films tend to offer greater glare reduction as they absorb more light. However, it's essential to strike a balance between glare reduction and maintaining sufficient visibility for safe navigation.
Installation Of Boat Window Tint
Installation of boat window tint is a complex task that needs proper knowhow, expertise and experience. You should also have proper tools if you are embarking upon the project. Let’s see what the process entails.
Tools Needed For Tint Installation
You will need the following for tinting boat windows:
- A premium quality window tint: This you can get easily from Vinyl Frog - a one-stop online shop for all your window tinting needs.
- Spray Bottle with Soapy Water: Prepare a solution of water and a few drops of mild soap in a spray bottle. This will be used to wet the window surface during installation.
- Squeegee: A soft, flexible squeegee is necessary to remove air bubbles and excess water from under the tint film during the installation process. It helps ensure a smooth and professional finish. Get the finest squeegees from Vinyl Frog for an error free job.
- Heat Gun: This helps in heat application and facilitates proper adhesion. If you don’t have one, visit Vinyl Frog to get a professional product.
- Utility Knife or Razor Blade: A sharp utility knife or razor blade is required to trim the excess tint film around the edges of the window for a clean and precise fit.
- Microfiber Towel: This is required to wipe the window surface, ensuring it is clean and free of any debris before applying the tint film.
Step To Step Process Of Boat Window Tint Application
Here's a simple guide to help you install window tints on your boat:
- Measure and Cut to Size: Start by measuring your boat's windows and leaving an extra inch or two of film. This additional film can be easily trimmed during installation.
- Clean the Windows: Before applying the tint, ensure that all windows are clean. Prepare a cleaning solution with water and dishwashing soap to thoroughly clean the windows, leaving them clear and ready for tinting. Do not forget to dry them. Also clean the interior of the boat. There shouldn’t be a speck of dust on the windows as it will affect proper, long term adhesion.
- Remove Residue: Check for any residue on the glass and carefully scrape off small objects using a sharp razor blade. Use a squeegee to clean the window glass, ensuring no residue is left behind.
- Apply the Tint Film: Spray soapy liquid over the window glass. Remove the backing from the film exposing the adhesive and apply it on the window. Use a squeegee to smooth out and remove any air bubbles or wrinkles.
- Trim and Shape the Tint Film: Excess film around the edges of the window is trimmed and shaped for a clean and professional appearance. This step ensures that the tint film fits perfectly within the window frame.
- Heat the Tint: Apply heat to the film with a specialized heat gun for window film. This makes the film stickier and strengthens its adhesion on the glass. Use a squeegee simultaneously both sideways and in horizontal motions.
- Allow for drying and curing: After the tint film is applied, it needs time to dry and cure properly. The drying time can vary depending on the type of tint film and environmental conditions in the area. It's important to follow the manufacturer's instructions regarding drying and curing times before exposing the tinted windows to water or other elements. Normally it takes a month for the film to properly cure.
Follow these steps to achieve professional quality boat window tinting that enhances the aesthetics, protection, and comfort of your vessel. If you are not doubtful about your prowess in the process, we would recommend using the services of a professional for a flawless boat window tint application.
How To Care For Boat Window Tints?
Since window tints on boats are exposed to saltwater and harsh climates, it is important to take care of them to ensure longevity and performance. Here’s what you need to do:
- Give your newly installed window tint time to cure. Wait for about 30 days before cleaning the windows or taking your boat out to the sea. Perfect adhesion will ensure that the tint stays on for many years to come.
- Do not use any abrasive cleaners and tools to avoid scratching the film. Use a microfiber towel or cloth for cleaning.
- Clean regularly with an ammonia free solution as it can damage your tinted film. Use mild soap instead. Make sure there is no saltwater buildup on the windows.
- Spray the tinted windows with soap and water solution and clean with a soft microfiber cloth.
- Avoid applying too much pressure when cleaning the window film.
- Do not leave the boat window film wet. Dry it using a clean, soft microfiber towel after cleaning.
The Cost Of Boat Window Tint
When it comes to tinting your boat's windows, it's important to consider the various advantages it offers. However, like any valuable service, there is a cost associated with it. At Vinyl Frog, we understand the significance of gauging the expense, so let's explore the factors that contribute to the overall cost of tinting your boat windows.
The Size Of The Boat
The size of your boat plays a crucial role in determining the cost of window tinting. Larger boats generally have bigger or more windows, which requires more materials and labor. As a result, the cost may vary accordingly.
The Shape Of The Window
The complexity of your boat's window shape also influences the pricing. Windows with flat forms are relatively straightforward to tint and typically fall within the lower price range. However, windshields often have more complex shapes, requiring additional expertise and materials, which can contribute to a higher cost. Boat owners should budget between $150 and $300 for this sort of work, depending on the size and shape of the windshield glass.
A more complicated tint applied to a curved or difficult-to-fit window is more time-consuming, thus necessitating more expensive materials and skills. This sort of project typically costs between $200 and $500, depending on the work required and the size of the window.
Type Of Tint Film Used
There are various types of tint films available, ranging from basic dyed films to high-performance ceramic ones with advanced features such as increased heat reduction, UV protection, and glare reduction. The type and quality of the tint film you choose impacts the cost.
Some window tinting service providers may offer additional services such as window cleaning, preparation, or removal of old tint. These additional services may come at an extra cost, but they can also contribute to a smoother and more professional installation.
Professional Installation vs DIY
Hiring a professional window tinting service will generally cost more than doing the installation yourself. Professionals have the expertise, tools, and experience to ensure a high-quality installation. However, if you choose to do it yourself, you can save on labor costs but should consider the learning curve and potential risks of improper installation.
We will not suggest going the DIY route if you do not have proper knowledge of the tinting process and the necessary experience. If this is your first time or you are still a novice, we recommend hiring experts for the job for a perfect finish and a long lasting experience.
Local Pricing And Market Factors
The cost of boat window tinting can also vary based on your location, local market conditions, and the availability of professional tinting services. Prices may be higher in areas with a higher cost of living or where specialized marine services are in high demand.
It's recommended to obtain quotes from multiple window tinting service providers, considering these factors, to get a better understanding of the potential cost for tinting your boat windows. Be sure to inquire about any warranties offered by the service provider and ensure they comply with local regulations and standards for window tinting.
Basic Laws Regarding Boat Window Tint
The rules and regulations regarding boat window tints differ from state to state but there are some general laws, which you should know:
- A tinted front windshield window of the boat should allow at least 28 percent of visual light transmission. It is important that the captain of the boat has enough visibility when operating the vessel.
- The side and rear window tint film should allow at least 15% of light to pass through. It is allowed to tint these glasses darker because they do not hinder the captain’s visibility.
- Reflectivity of the boat window tint is an important factor and the maximum legal limit is 25%. This is because glare from your windows might briefly affect the visibility of operators on other boats and perhaps cause accidents.
Having mentioned these rules, it is important to reiterate that before applying the tint on your boat, confirm the laws in your state so as to comply with them and not to get into trouble with the law enforcement authorities.
Window Tints For Your Boat At Vinyl Frog
If you are looking for high grade supreme window tints for your boat, Vinyl Frog is the best place to buy them from. They are durable and long lasting and give your vessel an elegant and contemporary look, making it truly captivating. Our films come in different percentages of visible light transmissions, with 5% VLT being the darkest and 70% being the most transparent.
Our tints effectively block 80% of the sun's infrared heat and 99% of harmful UV rays, keeping the cabin of your boat cool and pleasant. They also prevent the fading of seats and accessories. The films also reduce glare for a more comfortable experience. You can get rolls of varying sizes: from 5ft x 3.28ft to 98.42ft. Our tints give you the best value for money and are a worthy purchase for your precious vessel.
Frequently Asked Questions
Don't compromise on comfort, style, and protection. Invest in window tints for your boat today and have the ultimate experience riding the waves. Transform your boat into a haven of privacy, preserve its longevity, and cruise in peace, while enjoying the luxurious look and feel that we at Vinyl Frog provide with our top-notch tints. Discover the difference for yourself and set sail into a world of unparalleled excellence.